Disney Premier Villas™- Disney Villas in Orlando
We provide high quality 360° x 360° virtual tour and digital photography services. Affordable price, excellent brochures, and efficient services
  Home     Forum  
Register   Login  
   Forum:
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Guidelines Guidelines
DPV Members Trip reports
 Disney Premier Villas : DPV Members Trip reports
Subject Topic: US Airways Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Deborah
DPV Member
DPV Member

Online Status: Offline
Community: Crescent Lakes
Posted: 08 May 2011 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote Deborah

Never again.

Last trip in April we flew in direct via Philly with US Airways.  We were an hour delayed taking off then  an hour delayed landing due to weather and air traffic which meant we missed the connecting flight to Orlando.  There were two later flights and on getting to customer services we were told all seats were now booked,  they had re booked all passengers via an alphabetical list and as we are S by the time they got to us no seats left.  So 4 adults and 3 children no flights!  Got my parents 2 seats somehow on the last flight and us and our 3 boys went of standby for both flights.

Dont know how but standing at the gate we managed to get 1 then 2 then up to our 5 seats on standby, all over the plane including 1 in 1st class for my 4 yr old!  The air steward moved a few people around so me and my youngest sat together.  Then we sat for an hour on the tarmac.  We landed in orlando and got our luggage and my parents luggage on our flight, they were on the next flight which landing 15 mins after we collected the car (shld have been 2 hrs).  24 hrs after leaving the Uk we got to our villa!  bed!

Then we had a fantastic holiday, some time in Kissimmee and some time in Anna Maria Island which we now love and visit every time.

Get to the airport for the return flight and our 8 year old son and my parents flights had been cancelled!  Can you imagine!  Anyway dont know whose flights they cancelled to ensure my son and parents were put on the full flights but never again.

Although we saved alot of money flying indirect I dont think we could go through that again.  It was a nightmare!

Deborah x

Sparkle
DPV Member
DPV Member

Community: Grand Reserve.
Posted: 08 May 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Sparkle

Deborah,

Sorry to hear about all your travel troubles. 

We've only tried flying indirect once and its something I am definitely not in a hurry to repeat!

I guess it either works really well or not. 

madden
DPV Owner - 5 bed villa
DPV Owner - 5 bed villa

Community: Lake Berkley Resort
Posted: 08 May 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote madden

OMG Deborah what a nightmare?  We've flown indirect a couple of times and to be fair it has been OK.  Since then the direct flight prices have been OK so haven't had to do it. It sounds an horrendous journey.  I would have sobbed and sobbed! 

Back to Top View madden's Profile Search for other posts by madden Visit madden's Homepage

palm trees
DPV Member
DPV Member

Community: Four Corners
Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote palm trees

sounds like you need a holiday to recover from the last one ! We have never gone indirect but have flown to Miami a few times as that is often a lot cheaper and has more miles flights available, but the 4 hr drive can be a bit of a pain especially the 1/2hr the Miami end as the roads are like driving in an Formula one race !
Sue
Back to Top View palm trees's Profile Search for other posts by palm trees

miller
DPV Member
DPV Member

Community: west allotment
Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote miller

We have been looking at indirect flights for September, as the prics seem good.
There are very few flights direct from Newcastle, so we usually travel down to Manchester. So our thinking was, as we always get to Manchester much sooner than we really need to, as we worry about road works etc, and the time it takes us to get there, we might as well take an indirect flight, and at least the changes that have to be made we can be stretching our legs a bit, and the time spent travelling doesnt appear to be much different which way we do it.
But you have made me think now.
Pat

Deborah
DPV Member
DPV Member

Community: Crescent Lakes
Posted: 08 May 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote Deborah

Pat, if you leave lots of time for the connecting flights I am sure all will be fine.

We have flown indirect twice before and never had a problem.

Deborah

miller
DPV Member
DPV Member

Community: west allotment
Posted: 08 May 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote miller

Thanks Deborah i will keep that in mind
Pat

Majik
DPV Member
DPV Member

Community: Hunters Creek
Posted: 09 May 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Majik

I was so sorry to hear of your nightmare trip Deborah. We have flown indirect with US Airways many many times, are a memeber of their dividend miles and have had free upgrades and flights using the scheme.
We have sometimes had short delays but no more than with other airlines.
We quite like going indirect so that we can go through customs and immigration before arriving in Orlando. It is lovely to get off the plane in Orlando pick up the bags and go straight to car hire!

Ray n Sarah
DPV Owner & Forum Moderator
DPV Owner & Forum Moderator

Community:
Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Ray n Sarah

Deborah,
We had a similar experience with US through Philly, never again, we opt for United in-direct through Dulles as Immigration and connections are all in the same terminal building, with only International United flights, so no long waits..

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version